Call for Expressions of Interests - Newcastle Island Catering and Café Services Nov 2015
Newcastle Island is located within Nanaimo's Harbour. It is a breathtaking park with spectacular panoramic views of the Harbour City and Coast Mountains. The Island is accessible by foot ferry, leaving from Maffeo Sutton Park, downtown Nanaimo, British Columbia. The dance Pavilion on the Island has been restored to its 1930-vintage condition, and is used for meetings, events, and summer entertainment. Additionally the Pavilion houses a seasonal café seating approximately 50 plus patio. Traditionally known as Saysutshun by the Snuneymuxw First Nation (SFN), this family friendly marine provincial park has always had a special place in the hearts of Snuneymuxw people.
Purpose of the call and deliverables
SFN is seeking the services of high quality Food and Beverage Operators to provide a Banquet chef/catering team, and Kitchen management for Newcastle Island. They would be required to run the on-site daily Café during the summer season (May-Thanksgiving) and cater events throughout the year.
Interest may be expressed in three ways:
- only run the café during the summer season
- only cater events year round
- run the café during the summer season and cater events year round
This Call for Expressions of Interest is intended to pre-identify these qualified Operators. It is anticipated that successful candidates will enter into an Agreement, within which specific assignments and deliverables will be agreed on as and when they arise.
Expectations will include developing a management plan for the kitchen, inventory, food ordering, recruiting clients for catering services and being responsible for the upkeep and inventory of the kitchen. The catering team would be expected to offer a wide range of options from full breakfast, lunch and dinner buffets up to 250 people to gourmet salads, platters, dips, artisan sandwiches, BBQ grilled options and lunch boxes for events.
The candidates should have:
- WCB, Food Safe Level 2, Professional Cook 3/Red Seal or a combination of PC1 or PC2 with relevant experience
- Minimum of 5 years of experience
- Willingness to train SFN community members
- A track record of successful events
- The ability to prepare a menu that meets clients’ needs
- Knowledge of monitoring and evaluation, particular of inventory levels, equipment maintenance, and proper cleaning techniques
- Budgeting / resource planning skills
- Providers will be selected based on a mixture of skills and cost.
- Your own boat for transporting your cargo across to the Island would be considered an asset but is not required.
Responses to this Expressions of Interest should include the following:
- Brief letter, including relevant details and experience, certifications, information on current kitchen/catering team members and any information about availability
- Contact details of at least 2 references for which similar work has been undertaken
- Sample(s) of relevant menus and events the candidate has managed
- Notes: Please only submit samples which have not been prepared by another person.
- Financial: Identify catered plate pricing and cost projections and other relevant considerations.
Interested parties replying to this Expression of Interest should send applications to email@example.com by December 9th, 2015 4pm, with “Newcastle Island Catering and Cafe Expression of Interest” in the subject line.
Please note that only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.